Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Genius on call. Your questions answered.

Guy needs help with the house. He works his tail off during the week, and then renovates on the weekends. Sometimes the evenings too. It's all too much. Between his perfection personality and the need we both feel to pinch pennies though, we just keep trudging along doing what we can when we can.

Last Friday, he was feeling tired, and I snuck in the question of, "Would you like for me to call Benny the painter and see how much it would be for him to do the living and dining room?" In a moment of exhaustion, Guy said yes. Call the painter.

I was thrilled.

It was perfect timing. Turns out he had a cancellation for yesterday and today, so he squoze us in and got the entire rest of the downstairs and stairwell painted. It's lovely.

Today, he was touching up the kitchen while I was getting dinner ready and baking cookies. We were chatting about the fact that Guy is the one who picks out the colors in the house, and how unusual that is. It is apparently a female gene that typically selects paint colors. I'm missing that gene.

Benny says that he isn't surprised that Guy picks the colors because he is a genius. I asked him to repeat that. He said that Guy was a genius.

Now. I know this to be true. But I'm wondering how on earth Benny the painter agrees with me. And if it is possible that there is a little man crush going on here.

Benny says that a few months ago, when he was painting the outside of the house, that Guy told him he was a genius at the pharmaceutical company he used to work for.

A genius. I couldn't help but start laughing at this point. I asked him if he thought maybe Guy had said a geneticist or that he was in genetics. Benny said, "Well I don't know what that means. I think he said genius, but it could have been one of those other words."

Then he goes on to tell me that he had thought up some pretty tough questions to ask Guy seeing as how he was a genius and all. Because it's not everyday that you get the opportunity to ask a genius some questions.

"He didn't know all the answers, but he was honest about it. I wondered though how he could be a genius and not know. Turns out he's not."

I hated to disappoint him. I told him that Guy was in fact quite brilliant, but maybe not a genius. That genetics was something entirely different.

Benny is a fantastic painter, and a super nice guy. We will use him and recommend him as much as possible.

And we will try to make it up to him that Guy was not the genius that he claimed to be. Sorry about that, Benny.