Thursday, June 12, 2008

15 years in a nutshell

I connected with an old friend via email this week. The first email was short and sweet; about five lines stating "married with baby." Just the basics.

After the green light email back, letting me know that the connection wasn't unwanted, I wrote a longer email with more details.

It took me awhile.

As I sat there composing my easy-breezy letter to this old friend, I started over analyzing things. I started wondering if I was telling the right snippets of information about my life since we last spoke.

How exactly do you summarize the last 15 years of your life?

Upon further reflection, I wish I had just sent a list. Something like this:

1. Graduated from college, moved to Raleigh, wasted a good bit of my 20's.
2. Got married for lack of a better idea, divorced seven years later.
3. Was not and will never be a rock star no matter how hard I tried. And no, you may not hear the CD.
4. Love dogs like a crazy woman.
5. Play piano, teach piano, write for piano. Sing when asked.
6. Tried to save all the children with a non-profit music school for low-income families.
7. Admitted I'm not really blonde. Am now a brunette. Mostly.
8. Got married again for the right reasons this time.
9. My parents are hanging in there, but have health problems. My brother has a wonderful wife and 5 kiddos.
10. Christopher was born on January 26, 2008, finally making me a mom. Most everything else I would have to say involves him. Four months out of 15 years are just about all I want to talk about.


The more I thought about it, the more I thought this would make an excellent meme. So I'm making one up. Drunk with power, I am.

Our new meme should have a name. I think I'll call it the 15 Years in a Nutshell meme. Because that's not a stupid name or anything.

If you are so inclined to play along with me, then here's the deal. Think back on the last 15 years of your life. What would you tell someone that you hadn't seen or talked to for 15 years? How would you sum up your life?

You get 10 bullet points. A list of 10 things to summarize you. At the end of your list, tag 5 more people and send on the love.

I'm tagging:

Bubblewench, because I think she has a fascinating history.

Susie, because I just started reading her blog and this would be a rather subtle way of being nosy and learning more about her. Well, it would have been if I hadn't just put it out there like that.

KD, because she is the meme queen.

Jill, because I've been picking up on some interesting tidbits in her life here and there.

Guy, because he needs something to write about besides the damn Alltel wizard, and because I'm actually curious as to what he would pick out for his list.


Y'all play nice, hear?