Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Still the luckiest shamoopie


Saturday will be our fourth anniversary. In four short years, my life has done a complete 180 degree turn around into a life I didn't know I wanted. Only, I didn't know I wanted it because I didn't know the possibilities.

Kevin and I are a lucky couple. We started seeing each other about five years ago. We were both recently separated, and our quick coupling caused quite the commotion. Rumors soared about the length of our relationship and our fidelity in our previous marriages. Rumors.

Sometimes badness leads to goodness though. It wasn't an easy road, but there isn't a night that goes by that I don't reach over, run my fingers through his hair, and thank God that Kevin was brought into my life.

In four short years we have

  • Had five pregnancies and two beautiful baby boys
  • Renovated a house
  • Added on to said house
  • Been laid off from work
  • Found new work
  • Become a SAHM
  • Lost two beloved pets
  • Seen a daughter through middle school
  • Fought
  • Made up
  • Traveled
  • Loved
It's been busy.

I cannot tell you how much I love this man. It was such a surprise too. I didn't expect it.

An ex-friend of mine scoffed when I told her that I had found "the one" so soon after my marriage crumbled. She told me that I might be happy then, but that the honeymoon doesn't last forever.

I guess she was right. Our house is messy, the boys are loud, we both are heavier, and well, there aren't enough hours in the day to get it on like we used to. Hours or energy.

But who wants to live in a honeymoon forever? Isn't the point to make a life together? Isn't the point to be with someone who you love even after they've made the bathroom stink? Someone who loves you even when you haven't shaved your armpits in over a week?

Kevin and I are perfect together. He completes me. He understands me. He supports me. He tolerates me. He loves me.

I don't ever forget, not ever for one split second of the day even when I might be madder than hell at him - I don't ever forget how lucky I am that he blew into my life on what I thought was the worst storm ever.

He is my rainbow.

Here's our song from 2008.