Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day 23 - Something you wish you had done in your life - 30 days of truth

I wish I had been braver.


I wish that I had not assumed that because a couple of girls in my class were mercilessly mean to me, that everyone hated me. I wish that I had trusted my old friends. I wish that I had been more open minded. I wish that I hadn't been so stoic. I wish that I hadn't been so defensive.


There is a large chunk of my life where I was friends with people I am no longer friends with. I think in one regard, that's normal. However, so many old friends have been reintroduced into my life - I can't help but feel a little regret that I veered from those friendships in the first place. I certainly wasn't moving on to greener pastures. That's for sure.


This isn't a great prompt for me. Someone who is trying to focus on living in the now. 


The more I thought about this one, the more I wanted to just type, "I wish I sucked less," but that's a little harsh, even for me. There is a little truth to it though. I do wish that I had been more successful for a longer period of time - at anything. There are things I did well, but I don't seem to have any staying power. I burn out. Move on. 


Maybe I wish I had been more gentle on myself along the way. Cut myself a break more often.


Maybe that just what I wish for the future.


This is part of the 30 Days of Truth series. You can find the entire list here.